General Education Development (GED) preparatory classes are one of the many services provided to homeless youths through the Youth Outreach Program (YO).
GED Class Information:
- Classes are held Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1:00-3:00pm at the YO drop-in center.
- Classes are offered year-round.
- Students may participate for free; class fees (i.e. practice tests, materials and books) are subsidized.
- Credit hours earned are transferable.
- Class sizes are small, allowing for more individualized instruction.
- The instructor is credentialed by the DOE.
- Students must demonstrate comprehension regarding GED academic requirements and receive a passing grade on practice tests before being sponsored for the GED exam.
Who may participate:
- New students are welcome to join at any point during the year, regardless of academic level or abilities.
- Classes are open to youths 21 years of age and younger; students over the age of 21 are accepted under certain circumstances. Please contact YO or the instructor for more information.
- Students younger than 18 who have formally withdrawn from school are required to complete form 4140 to be eligible.
If you have questions about the GED classes, please contact YO.
YO is an official GED site, designated by the DOE, and has access to all resources available through the DOE, including on-line educational sites. YO is an active partner with McKinley Community School for Adults.
Waikiki Health is able to offer GED classes at YO thanks to our supporters, including NFL Pro Bowl Charities, Rotary Club of Honolulu and St. Clements Episcopal Church. Mahalo!